When do I take the test? When do I apply?
These are common questions pre-health students ask. While the application open dates and deadlines remain the same from year to year, when a student chooses to apply is a very personal decision. There is not a right or wrong way to do it. We encourage students to talk out their plans with an advisor before settling on a timeline.
Gap Year vs. Straight Through
There are clear advantages to taking a gap year, but many students choose to apply during the summer before their fourth year in order to start professional or graduate school right after graduation. We included two SAMPLE timelines below: a gap year and a straight through. PLEASE NOTE: These are not a prescription or a plan for you. This is an example of how you can do it, but this may not work for you.
Benefits of a Gap Year:
- An extra year of coursework towards your GPA
- An extra year to gain experiences and build relationships with faculty for LOR
- Not missing classes to travel to interviews during your fourth year of college
- Not being stressed out worrying about acceptances, FA, finding housing during your fourth year of college
- Working and making some money before starting your next step